This hearty, flavourful, colourful dish has everything you are looking for in a meal.
- 1 cup freekeh, cooked (or other whole grain of your choice)
- ½ cup red cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup red pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup matchstick carrots
- ¼ cup edamame
- 1 Tbsp peanuts, chopped
- ½ cup smoked salmon
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp water
- Grated fresh ginger, to taste
1. To cook freekeh, boil 2.5 cups of water (you can use water or a vegetable broth). Add 1 cup freekeh, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. This will make 3 cups of freekeh – if you are not making more than 1 serving you can freeze for later meals.
2. In a bowl, top 1 cup of cooked freekeh with cabbage, red pepper, carrots, edamme, peanuts and smoked salmon.
3. For the peanut sauce – in a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, hoisin, lime juice, sesame oil, water and ginger. Pour about 1 Tbsp over the top of your grain bowl.
Nutritional Information and Tips for this recipe found at Registered Dietitian Laurie Barker Jackmans website